We all know that living a healthy lifestyle can be difficult. From what we eat to how much we sleep, it seems like we’re constantly making hard choices.
“Should I go for a run?” “Should I go to sleep early?” “How many packages of Oreos should I eat?” These are weighty questions.But making healthy choices doesn’t have to be difficult—or expensive! To make life a little easier, we’ve compiled a list of 10 health and fitness apps to help you live a healthier and more active lifestyle. And the best part? They’re almost all completely free! So take a look, and get started enjoying a healthier, happier you!
- FitStar Personal Trainer – Going to the gym is tough. We get it. You might not even be sure where to start. Created by former NFL star Tony Gonzalez, this app is perfect for beginners and gym rats alike. Providing tailored workouts, this app will assess your fitness level and needs based on a series of questions following each session. This guarantees you always get a workout that’s challenging, without leaving you on bed rest for a week. (Free; iOS)
- Sworkit – Time can be one of the biggest enemies of regular exercise. Fortunately, Sworkit is here to save the day. Sworkit makes exercise work for your schedule by creating circuit workouts based on the amount of time you have available. Workouts can last as little as five minutes or as long as 60. You can even adjust your workouts to emphasize different areas, such as upper body strength or cardio, or create a custom workout to get exactly what you want. Don’t know how to do a particular exercise? No problem. Sworkit will illustrate how to properly perform each exercise as you move through your workout. And because it uses only body weight exercises, you won’t need a gym membership to get your sweat on. (Free; iOS and Android)
- C25K – Dreaming about running your first 5K? Stop dreaming and make it happen with the Couch to 5K app. This 8-week training program starts off slow, alternating between running and walking, then works its way up to more intense workouts as you build your endurance. It contains just three half-hour workouts a week that, by the end, will have you off the Matlock reruns and in shape for your first 5K! An audio coach will even help you through each workout, while providing you with a little inspiration to keep going. (Free; iOS and Android)
- Charity Miles/Zombies, Run! – Okay, so this is actually two apps, but the premise is (almost) exactly the same; get some exercise—and save the world. Save a fictional world from the Zombie Apocalypse in the third entry in this exercise saga. Players are rewarded for every mile walked or ran by earning supplies to help save the human race. ($3.99; iOS and Android) If fiction isn’t quite your style, help save the real world with Charity Miles. This motivational fitness app provides real donations to a charity of your choice, based on the number of miles you run, bike, or walk—10 cents for every mile biked and 25 cents for every mile walked or ran. (Free; iOS and Android)
- Argus – Ever feel like tracking your every move? Well now you can, with Argus. This tracking app works primarily in the background of your smartphone, tracking your movements as you go about your day. It can even tell when you’ve changed elevation or speed to track stair climbs and runs. You’ll also get fun, colorful charts to show trends in your daily activities. (Free; iOS)
- MapMyFitness – Another tracking app, MapMyFitness has been around since 2007, and it’s still going strong. Its simple user interface enables you to easily track daily food and exercise and is one of the most accurate available in app stores. You can set challenges for yourself and your friends, and it can even keep track of things like running shoes, so you’re alerted when it’s time to purchase a new pair. (Free; iOS and Android)
- HealthyOut – Eating out and eating healthy rarely go hand-in-hand … until now. Thanks to HealthyOut, making healthy dining choices has never been easier. Simply plug in your address and dietary restrictions, pick what style of cuisine you’re in the mood for, and voila! HealthyOut will deliver a list of dining options in your area that meet your criteria and even suggest the healthiest dish option. (Free; iOS and Android)
- MyFitnessPal – Tracking your calories has never been this simple. Log meals in less than a minute using their massive brand name database. Made a creation of your own? No problem—just input the recipe, and MyFitnessPal will estimate your calories. MyFitnessPal can also provide suggested calorie needs based on your personal information and health goals. (Free; iOS and Android)
- ShopWell – Tired of staring at nutrition labels? ShopWell takes the guesswork out of grocery shopping by providing a rating for every item, based on users’ personal profile including age, gender, health goals, and dietary restrictions. Simply scan the item’s barcode, and ShopWell provides a score between 1 and 100. The closer an item scores to 100, the better it is for your diet! (Free; iOS and Android)
- Lumosity – Get that beefy brain you’ve been dreaming about with some mental exercises from Lumosity. Lumosity takes the traditional tasks used by neuroscience researchers and transforms them into fun games to sharpen your noggin. As we age, it becomes increasingly important to keep our brains healthy and active—with Lumosity, you can work on everything from attention and memory to complex problem solving. Just 15 minutes a few times a week will work up a solid mental sweat that keeps your mind lean and mean. (Free; iOS and Android)
So there you are—ten great apps to make healthy living easier! But remember, no app can make you healthy if you don’t want to be—you still have to put in the hard work if you hope to reap the rewards. So before you choose an app, decide what your goals are. Those who set goals are far more likely to see results than those who don’t. And when it starts getting difficult, don’t quit! Stick to your commitments—you can do it! It’s as simple as that. Now get out there and get your health on!
Check back here regularly for more great health and fitness tips!