What should you do when you are stuck in the vicious cycle of your career and can’t seem to move forward?
When you first step into the workforce, everything seems exciting and new. There are so many great opportunities that you want to explore and there just doesn’t seem to be enough time. However, once you have settled into your career, these opportunities may seem less stimulating. You have been in your job long enough to successfully know what you’re doing, and the thought of continuing this for another 15 or 20 years is demotivating. What can you do to keep from halting your growth and becoming stagnant in your career?
Get a mentor ... or become one!
Creating and building relationships is an important part of growth, both professionally and personally. To take your career to the next level, consider entering a mentor/mentee relationship. Mentoring is a partnership between two individuals based on a commitment to the mentorship process, common goals/expectations, mutual trust, and respect. This relationship can be facilitated through a formal mentorship program, such as the one offered at Pekin Insurance, or created organically as a business relationship grows.
There are many benefits of embarking on this partnership, such as:
- Career development and advancement for both the mentor and mentee
- Business-wide collaboration to spark innovative ideas
- Greater understanding of business processes and culture
Reenergize a boring, stodgy process
We’ve all been there … you’re told to complete a task a certain way because “that’s the way it has always been done.” This process may take you ten steps when it can be done in five or may just be outdated. Rather than settling for what has always been done, make your own process. Get innovative and create something that gets you excited to work again! Don’t be afraid to try something that you have never done before. This may even give you the chance to step outside of your comfort zone and advance your skills in an area you may not have previously thought of.
In addition to other resources, Pekin Insurance offers the below training to employees to kick start this development.
- Microsoft Office Training, Insurance Designation Education, and Tuition Reimbursement
- By offering free, in-house training, employees can keep up with the latest tips and tricks for Microsoft Office. Also, employees are encouraged to pursue their education goals whether it is through a degree or insurance designation.
- Lunch and Learns
- Complimentary courses are offered that cover a variety of topics such as stress management, healthy eating, how to declutter your inbox, and many others.
- Real Colors Training
- This is an interactive workshop focused on identifying and analyzing your key personality traits, as well as the ones of others. This training is meant to improve communication across personality types, understand individual strengths/weaknesses, and enhance the formation of teams.
If you aren’t motivated by the work you are currently doing, switch it up! Create new challenges for yourself that may not have been previously available. For example, take on additional or higher-level responsibilities. This will allow you to show your boss that you are engaged and still invested in your career. You may also want to consider taking on a leadership role. Not only will this expand your skillset, but it will support the development of future leaders.
If you do not already do this, another option is to get involved with your organization. This can be as simple as attending a company-sponsored function or volunteering to join a committee that you normally wouldn’t get involved with. The key is to find an area in your career that you have avoided or missed out on and find a way to pursue it.
No matter what way you choose to reignite your career, be sure to build a plan and stick to it. Create personal goals that you would like to achieve, then design the steps you will need to take. Keep in mind that it is all about the journey, not necessarily the destination. Take a look at where you want to go and how you want to get there, and then talk to your manager so you can get started!
Check out our available positions: http://www.pekininsurance.com/careers/